Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I was talking to my friend today...

And we were discussing how people can be good friends.  Specifically us, really.  She's pretty conservative, catholic, and whiter than wonder bread.  I'm liberal, atheist and multiracial.  She believes in pro-life, i'm pro-choice.  She's republican, I'm democrat.  On paper, we're about as different as you can get.  Hell, she uses a PC, I use a mac.  After a while of talking, we decided that there are several levels to a person.  They are as follows:

Superficial - Looks, material possessions, etc.
Characteristic - Preference in music or movies or food etc.
Deep - Religious, philosophical, ethical beliefs etc.
Process - How we process the world around us.

Most people would argue that the first three exist, but neglect the third.  But it is my belief that even if you have fundamental disagreements with a person, if they arrive to that conclusion in a logical, intelligent and critical manner, than it's much easier to respect their differences.  For me and her, for example, superficially there's no problems, we love each others characteristic aspects, we are totally opposite in our deep aspects, but we have almost identical thought processes.  I'm not sure if this really means anything, or we're just taking a look at something for the sake of understanding it.  There's not really much you can do with "the reason we're friends".  But regardless, she's one of my best friends on the planet.  I love her to death, and she's one of the biggest influences on me.  I remember the first time I met her, we got into an argument in politics over Obama vs McCain two years ago.  I ended up calling her a fascist lol.  And now we're best friends!  Funny how the world turns out sometimes.  But to quote the movie Wedding Crashers, "Love is finding your counterpoint in another."

No comments:

Post a Comment